Jalapeno Popper Chicken is a delicious and cheesy delight that can be made ahead then grilled easily. With just a few simple ingredients you'll have dinner on the table in no time!
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts - cut in half lengthwise, and seasoned with BBQ rub inside and out.
- Bacon - about ½ pound or enough to wrap the chicken in.
- Jalapeno's - Cut in half with membrane and seeds removed.
- BBQ Sauce - your favorite.
- Cream cheese - for the filling, can be full fat or reduced fat. Soften prior to using.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese - or pepper jack or Colby.
- Combine the softened cream cheese and shredded cheese in a small bowl and set aside.
- Cut each chicken breast in half vertically, and season inside and out with BBQ rub.
- Cut the jalapenos in half then remove the membrane and seeds.
- Fill one half of the jalapenos with cream cheese mixture then cap with the other half.
- Put inside the prepared chicken breast, and wrap in bacon. Secure with toothpicks.
- Preheat the grill to about 350-degrees. Turn off all the burners except two as we will be cooking on indirect heat. The closest burner should be set at half or less, and the furthest one should be on all the way.
- Cook until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165-degrees.
- Brush with BBQ sauce for the last ten minutes of cooking.
Can I make this in the oven?
Yes, follow the directions above but cook in a preheated 350-degree oven until it reaches an internal temperature of 165-degrees. Brush with BBQ sauce at the end then broil for a few minutes to finish.
Grilled Jalapeno Popper Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in half vertically, and seasoned with BBQ rub
- 4 jalapenos cut in half with membrane and seeds removed
- ½ pound bacon
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
Cream cheese filling and jalapenos
- Combine softened cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese in small bowl. Stir to combine well.
- Fill one half of each jalapeno with cream cheese filling, and then cap with the other half. Set aside while preparing chicken.
Preparing the chicken
- Cut each chicken breast in half lengthwise to butterfly. Pound with a meat mallet or rolling pin until it is an even thickness. Season with your favorite BBQ rub on both sides.
- Place one prepared jalapeno onto one half of the chicken breast, and fold over the other side.
- Wrap with bacon, and secure the chicken at the seam with a couple of toothpicks.
Cooking the chicken on the grill
- Preheat the grill, and place the chicken on indirect heat to cook. Turn during cooking. Cook for one hour or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165-degrees.
- Brush with BBQ sauce at the end when you take the chicken out. Allow the chicken to rest tented for about 10 minutes.
Cooking the chicken in the oven
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees, place the chicken in the oven on a baking sheet. Cook for one hour or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165-degrees.
- Brush with BBQ sauce at the end when you take the chicken out. Tent and allow to rest for ten minutes.
- Serve immediately or store leftovers in an airtight container for up to one week.