Grilled beer can chicken is the easiest and most fool proof way to guarantee a moist and flavorful chicken with a delicious crispy skin every time. The beer steams the chicken while it cooks, and the grill gives it a beautiful browned crisp skin.
Ingredients & Equipment
Whole Chicken - a whole chicken about 4 pounds.
Beer - your favorite beer that comes in a standard size can.
Poultry seasoning - the sky's the limit here. Use your favorite poultry seasoning or rub.
Vegetable Bouquet - small pieces of celery, onion, and carrot to stuff in the neck cavity for extra flavor.
Beer can stand - either a beer can chicken stand made for this purpose, or a shallow baking pan with a beer can.
Preheat the grill to 350-375 degrees. If you want to use a smoke box to add a smoky flavor to the chicken then prepare this, and add it to the grill while it heats up. While you wait coat the outside of the chicken thoroughly with the poultry season or BBQ rub.
Open the beer and place into the stand. Position the chicken on top. Add small pieces of celery, sliced onion, and carrot to the neck cavity.
At the grill turn off half the burners. The burner farthest from the chicken should be on high, and the next burner should be halfway turned up or slightly lower. If you are using a smoke box make sure it is positioned over direct heat.
Place the chicken over the burners that are NOT on as we are cooking over the indirect heat. Cook for 1 ½ hours, and then turn the chicken to cook for an additional 1 ½ hours or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165-degrees.
Once the chicken is done remove from grill, and rest for about ten minutes. Brush with some melted garlic butter at the end to make it extra special. Then remove from the stand and enjoy! Our Griddle Bacon Brussel Sprouts make this a complete meal!
Can I make this in the oven?
Yes, you can make beer can chicken in the oven. Preheat the oven to 375-degrees then place the prepared chicken in the oven on a baking sheet. Cook for the same time, and rotate half way through. Note you cannot use the smoke box when cooking in the oven.
Beer Can Chicken
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 can beer
- ⅓ cup poultry seasoning or rub
- ½ stalk celery
- ½ carrot
- 2 tablespoon onion sliced
- Preheat grill to 350-375 degrees. If using a smoke box add this to the grill now.
- Coat the chicken generously with poultry seasoning or rub. Place beer in chicken stand. Position chicken on stand. Add the cut vegetables to the neck cavity.
- Turn off half the burners on the grill. Leave burner farthest from the chicken on full, and the second burner on half or less. Leave smoke box on burners.
- Place chicken on side of grill that is off to cook on indirect heat. Cook for 1 ½ hours then turn 180-degrees to cook an additional 1 ½-hours or until done to an internal temperature of 165-degrees.
- Rest for ten minutes then serve.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week.