Grilled Italian Sausage and Peppers is a flavorful and hearty meal that can be served on a hoagie roll or with a bit of pasta. Eating these makes you feel like you're at the state fair chowing down on some of that awesome fair food! A quick and easy meal that also makes the perfect game day food alongside some Jalapeno Poppers.
Why this recipe works
- Quick and easy - these Italian sausages come together in less than an hour which makes it perfect for a weeknight. While they cook throw together some Cold Balsamic Tomato Cucumber Salad for a whole meal!
- Mostly hands off - with just a little prep work and a few minutes of hands on cooking time this pretty much cooks itself while it braises in your favorite beer.
- Feed a crowd - you can easily feed a crowd or have plenty of leftovers for lunch or another dinner during the week. If you have leftovers you can use them in this Dutch oven breakfast casserole!
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need for this recipe. Scroll to the recipe card where you will find the exact measurements.
- Italian Sausages - there are different types of Italian sausages you could use depending on your tastes or mood. You can use regular or mild, sweet, or spicy for this recipe. In a pinch you can use this same recipe for kielbasa or Andouille sausage. I always use fresh Italian sausages for this recipe.
- Beer - just like when you cook with wine it's best to choose one of your favorite brews for this recipe.
How to make this
Step 1: Sear the sausages and prep the vegetables
Preheat your grill to 400- to 425-degrees. Place Italian sausages on direct heat on the bottom of the grill to sear and mark the sausages. Grill one side for a couple of minutes, and then flip to repeat on the opposite side. Remove seared sausages to one side of the top rack on indirect.
Place an aluminum pan on the bottom rack of the grill over direct heat. Add a little oil to the pan, and then your sliced peppers and onion so you can cook them for the Italian sausages. Saute for about 5 minutes to get a little color on the vegetables which will give more flavor to your finished Italian sausages.
Step 2: Braise the sausages
Add the garlic to the pan and saute for 30 seconds. Add the sausages, Italian herb seasoning, and beer to the pan. Turn off the burners that are not directly under your pan. Allow the liquid to come to a simmer. Leftover Smoked Baked Beans are a perfect side dish for these Italian sausages!
Cover with foil, and turn the heat down. Braise the sausages on the grill with the lid closed for about 30 minutes for tender sausages. Look to keep the grill temperature at about 350- to 375-degrees.
Turn once while cooking. Once the sausages are done serve immediately or keep in an airtight container for up to one week. Sausages are done when they reach an internal temperature of 165-degrees.
You can grill the peppers and onions by cutting them in half for a little char. After charring them slice them and add then to the foil pan. Add some hot red pepper flakes for a little heat. You can also add fresh chopped tomatoes or a can of drained diced tomatoes for something different.
You DO NOT need to pierce the casings on the sausages. While many recipes suggest this it's not a good idea. This will allow the fat to escape and result in a dry sausage.
Cooking times are for standard roughly 1-inch thick sausage. If the meat is bigger or small this will affect the cooking time by increasing it or decreasing it.
Yes, brown the sausages on the stove. Add ingredients to your pan. To cook on the stove simmer the sausages for 30 minutes. To cook in the oven, brown on stove then add to baking pan, and cover. Cook for 30 minutes in a preheat 375-degree oven.
Yes, preheat griddle to 375- 400-degrees. Brown sausages on griddle, and place in foil pan. Add green peppers, onions to griddle to brown and soften for a few minutes. Add garlic, and saute for 30 seconds. Turn off extra burners. Add all remaining ingredients to foil pan, and bring to simmer on griddle over direct heat. Cover with foil, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Regular pork sausage is seasoned with salt, pepper, and sage. Italian sausage is seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, fennel seed, and anise seed.
You can expect to get five sausages that are about 1-inch in diameter in one pound of sausage.
- On a roll - serve on a crusty hoagie roll with mustard and topped with mozzarella cheese.
- Pasta - toss with some penne pasta with a little olive oil and Parmesan cheese with a green side salad.
- Rice - serve over some fluffy jasmine rice or cauliflower rice. Serve with some Blackstone griddle Bacon Brussel Sprouts!
- Potatoes - serve with fried hash browns or diced potatoes and eggs for a delicious breakfast.
- Roasted vegetables - serve with roasted sweet potatoes, zucchini, or squash.
Storage & Reheating
Store in a plastic bag or airtight container for up to one week. Reheat in the microwave for a few minutes or in a 200-degree oven in a baking dish for 30 minutes.
Cooked sausages can be frozen in a freezer bag or container for up to 6 months. It is best to eat within three months as the flavor can degrade after this. Thaw in refrigerator then reheat in the microwave or oven.
More Grilling and Blackstone Griddle Recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or review in the comment section below. I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Italian Sausage with Green Peppers & Onions
- 2 pounds Italian sausages mild, sweet, or spicy
- 2 bell peppers assorted colors, sliced
- 2 onions sliced
- 1 Tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon Italian herb seasoning
- 12 ounces beer your favorite
- Preheat grill to 400- to 425-degrees. Sear sausages on bottom rack on both sides. Remove sausages to top rack.
- Add aluminum foil pan to bottom rack. Add cooking oil to pan. Add sliced bell peppers and onion to pan. Saute for five minutes to soften and brown. Add garlic, and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add sausages, Italian herb seasoning, and beer to the pan. Bring to a simmer over direct heat. Turn off extra burners.
- Cover with foil, and simmer for 30 minutes turning once during cooking. Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Blackstone Griddle Instructions
- Preheat griddle to 375- 400-degrees. Brown sausages on griddle, and place in foil pan.
- Add green peppers, onions to griddle to brown and soften for a few minutes. Add garlic, and saute for 30 seconds. Turn off extra burners.
- Add all remaining ingredients to foil pan, and bring to simmer on griddle over direct heat. Cover with foil, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Brown sausage in preheated pan. Remove to plate.
- Add peppers and onions to pan and brown. Add garlic, and saute for 30 seconds. Return sausages to pan. Add Italian herb seasonings, and beer.
- Bring to a simmer, and then cover. Cook for 30 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees.
- Brown sausage in preheated pan. Remove to plate.
- Add peppers and onions to pan and brown. Add garlic, and saute for 30 seconds. Return sausages to pan. Add Italian herb seasonings, and beer. Bring to a simmer.
- Cook covered in the preheated oven for 30-minutes.
Don't forget to sign up for our email newsletter to receive recipes and updates from Ole Blue Dog!