Pit Barrel Smoked Turkey Breast is a two-ingredient quick hit for dinner and super easy to make with your favorite BBQ rub. Tender and juicy this whole bone-in turkey breast is an easy and flavorful dinner for any time of the year, not just for the holidays.
Why this works
- Two ingredients - your favorite BBQ rub and the turkey...so simple just like my smoked wings recipe.
- Very quick - depending on the size of your turkey breast this should only take 2-3 hours to cook to temperature with enough time to make some smoked shotgun shells for an appetizer. While it's cooking you can whip up some bacon Brussel sprouts for a side.
- Great for meal prep - if you've been making grilled chicken for weeks for your meal then switch it up with this Pit Barrel Smoked Turkey Breast.
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need for this recipe. Scroll to the recipe card where you will find the exact measurements.
- Turkey breast - choose any size turkey breast that is fresh or frozen.
- BBQ rub - you can choose your favorite rub. I use a mesquite or applewood rub.
How to make this
Step 1: Coat turkey breast in rub
Once you've thawed your turkey breast coat it in BBQ rub inside and out.
Step 2: Smoke the turkey breast
Get the pit barrel ready for smoking. Add some applewood chips for a little more flavor. Insert the rack and place the turkey breast inside. The ambient temperature should be about 260- to 275-degrees.
A four to six pound turkey breast should take around 2-3 hours to cook. The turkey breast is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165-degrees.
Once the turkey is done smoking remove to a baking sheet and tent with foil for a few minutes to allow the meat to rest.
For additional flavor you can also brine the turkey overnight prior to smoking. If your Pit Barrel Smoked Turkey Breast is getting to much color on it then wrap in foil until it is done cooking.
Pecan, applewood, mesquite, or oak are all great woods to smoke a turkey breast with.
Fresh herbs like rosemary, oregano, parsley, or thyme. Also vegetables and fruits like onion, celery, and apples are great too.
Serve this Pit Barrel Smoked Turkey Breast with roasted potatoes, stuffing, or some pig shots.
Storage & Reheating
Store up to one week in an airtight container. Reheat in microwave. Can be frozen for up to three months, and thawed in the refrigerator prior to eating.
More dinner recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or review in the comment section below. I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Pit Barrel Smoked Turkey Breast
- 1 turkey breast thawed
- ½ cup BBQ rub
- Thaw turkey breast in the refrigerator. Coat inside and out with bbq rub.
- Get the Pit Barrel Smoker ready. Add some applewood wood chunks for extra flavor. The ambient temperature of the smoker should be 260- to 275 degrees.
- Place the prepared turkey breast on the grate. Smoke for 2-3 hours or until the turkey reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Remove from smoker and place on a baking sheet covered in foil. Allow the turkey to rest a few minutes prior to serving.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week. Freeze up to three months, and thaw in the refrigerator prior to serving or reheating.
Don't forget to join our Facebook group - Blackstone Griddle Love or our BBQ group!
Leave a Reply