Spam Fried Rice is the quick pantry meal you've been missing out on your whole life! An economical meal that makes a sweet and savory meal from day old rice, Spam, eggs, pineapple, and vegetables.
Why this works
- Pantry items - uses staple items you probably have in your cabinet for this Spam fried rice, and it's a good way to use up leftover produce and rice at the end of the week.
- Quick - this recipe is easy to pull together in a short amount of time just like grilled ham steak.
- Feed a crowd - this recipe can make a lot or a little depending on what you need kind of like my Philly cheesesteak sandwiches.
Ingredients you will need
Here is a quick snapshot of the ingredients you'll need for this recipe. Scroll to the recipe card where you will find the exact measurements.
- Rice - rice should be leftover rice that is at least 1-day old. I use leftover Jasmine rice, but you could use any leftover rice you have on hand. Don't use fresh cooked rice since that will leave you with a sticky pile of food that breaks down to easily and sticks to your grill.
- Eggs - not pictured, and totally optional. I like to add scrambled eggs to my rice. This is totally dependent on what you like.
- Green onions - you can also use regular or red onions, or even shallots.
- Pineapple and vegetables - you can use canned vegetables or canned chunked pineapple.
How to make this
Preheat the griddle to 375- to 400-degrees. Add a small amount of oil to the griddle and then added the cubed Spam. Cook until it's as crispy as you like it.
Move the cooked Spam to one side of the griddle. Turn down one of the burners so the meat will keep warm, but not continue to brown.
Add the green onions, corn, peas, and carrots to the grill. Cook for a few minutes, and then add to the side with the meat. Add the day-old rice to the griddle. Cook to warm for a few minutes.
Next add the soy sauce, fish sauce, ground ginger, and white pepper to the rice. Use the spatula to combine the ingredients on the griddle.
If you are using eggs, add the scrambled eggs to the rice mixture. Cook until done using the spatula to keep the eggs from sticking.
Add the pineapple to the rice, and cook for two minutes. Then combine all the ingredients on the griddle together. Remove to a platter or casserole dish for serving.
Always make sure you use rice that is at least a day old for Spam fried rice. Extra steamed rice from Chinese restaurants are perfect for this recipe.
Be sure to try an cut your meat and vegetables into fairly uniform pieces. You can switch up the vegetables by adding diced red peppers or fresh ginger to the mix. If you are making this on the stove be sure to use a cast iron pan to get enough high heat to make this.
It is an acronym for Special Processed American Meat.
The pork if from the shoulder portion of the pig.
Serve with egg rolls or dumplings from the frozen section and you've got a full meal in a short amount of time. Add a little Siracha sauce for a little heat in your meal.
Storage & Reheating
Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week. Reheat for a few minutes in the microwave.
More Blackstone Recipes
Did you try this recipe? Why not leave a star rating and/or review in the comment section below. I always love hearing your feedback. Be sure to sign up for our email list, or follow us on Pinterest, Facebook, or Instagram!
Spam Fried Rice
- 2 12-ounce cans Spam Cut into ½- to 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups rice cooked, one-day old
- ½ cup green onions sliced, can use Vidalia or red onion, or shallots
- 2 eggs optional, scrambled
- 1 cup peas and carrots canned or frozen (thawed)
- 1 cup corn canned or frozen (thawed)
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger can use fresh grated
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- Preheat griddle to 375- to 400-degrees. Add a small amount of oil to griddle, and then add cubed Spam. Cook until crispy.
- Move the Spam to one side of griddle, and turn down burner on that side to keep the meat warm.
- Add the green onions, peas and carrots, and corn. Cook on griddle for a few minutes, and then move to the side with the meat.
- Add the rice to the griddle. Break up with a spatula and cook for a few minutes until warmed. Add the soy sauce, fish sauce, white pepper, and garlic to the rice. Cook for a few minutes.
- If using eggs, add these to the rice and cook until done.
- Add the pineapple last, and cook for two minutes. Then combine everything together on the griddle and cook for two minutes. Remove to serving tray or casserole pan.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container for up to one week. Reheat in microwave for a few minutes.
Don't forget to join our Facebook group - Blackstone Griddle Love or our BBQ group!
Leave a Reply